Monday, August 23, 2010

Last Week

We are off to a great start this year! I had such a wonderful time last week meeting and getting to know the students that will come into my art room. I also enjoy being on car duty (minus the rain) because its great to greet the students in the morning and to send them off to a great evening.

Grades 1-4 worked on circle maps last week, which is a type of thinking map. This is something Dr. Critchlow wants all teachers implementing this year because thinking maps help students visualize and organize information. The circle map has the topic in the center circle and information about the topic in the outer circle. Surrounding the circle should be your sources, or for our project what influences you.

The students drew themselves in the center circle and instead of using words to tell me about themselves or things they like they drew pictures with colored pencils. I gave them free range to draw at their own level with very little assistance because I wanted to see where everyone's skills are as far as drawing goes. I was quite impressed!

The students had an oppurtunity to present and share their circle maps with the class so we could learn about each other and practice verbalizing what we were trying to express in art. I hope to hang up a few circle maps in the hall before sending them home.

Kindergarteners worked mostly procedures and listening to directions, but we also practiced coloring some sheets. I wanted them to get a feel for how long they would be in the art room and showed/encouraged them to draw slowly, carefully, and to put in their best effort. This week we will probably get a little more into line, shape, and color.

1 comment:

  1. Miss Fravel,
    Thank you so much for this blog! I am enjoying reading about what is going on in your classroom. I am going to ask Isaac about the circle maps he did!

    Peace,
    Kevin Walker

    ReplyDelete