Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Art In-Service Day and Parent Night

Yesterday was a very busy day!

All of the art teachers in the county met up at Antioch High School for some training sessions and then we were bussed out to the Frist and Cheekwood to see that Chihuly exhibits. I had not seen the exhibits, which is shame as an art teacher (but its hard when you work 7 days a week all summer!), so I was so glad to have an opportunity to view them!

I was blown away by the sheer size of the exhibits and the intense coloration of the glass. I have always loved glass, in fact one of the things passed on to be from my grandmother was her glass collection (and her fun hats!). The art of glass blowing as always fascinated me, and although it seems intimidating with the heat and fragile nature of glass, I would love to take a class on it some day.

The Cheekwood exhibit was especially powerful because the artist has quite a connection to nature and to see his work mixed into to the gardens was truly breath taking. I wish I would of brought my camera yesterday, I will know better next time! So if you haven't seen the exhibits, I would highly recommend going to the Frist, the exhibit will be there through October, and free family day is Sunday August 22nd!

http://fristcenter.org/site/calendar/eventdetail.aspx?cid=836


After our very hot tour and trip back to Antioch, it was time to get ready for parent night! There was quite a turnout! As a new teacher at Hickman I was delighted to see so many parents and families here to meet the staff! I am especially pleased with the hand full of parents that stopped by the art room to meet the new art teacher :) And it was great to meet a few students ahead of time since I will have about 250 student names to learn in the next week!

I am looking forward to a truly wonderful year here!

No comments:

Post a Comment